“And in that moment, I swear we were infinite”

By Kira

All of us can probably remember the first day of school nervousness we had, especially on our first day of high school. Some of us had our best friends by our sides but unfortunately, Charlie in the Perks of Being a Wallflower did not.

Shy Charlie started freshman year alone, and having to cope with his best friend’s suicide. Charlie is forced to step out of his comfort zone in parts of the book. Charlie in the beginning of the school year be-friends two of his future best friends Sam and Patrick, who are kind of his partners in crime. High school doesn’t only cause you to step out of your comfort zone, it gives you new experiences, not all great. Charlie goes to parties, experiments with drugs, and also drinking. Charlie has some deep secrets that towards the end of the book, come back to haunt him. Charlie learns that it’s easier to deal with your secrets and problems when they happen but, not to regret them, to prosper from your past.the_perks_of_being_a_wallflower_book_cover_drawing_by_pigwigeon-d5j78el

The author of Perks of Being a Wallflower is Stephen Chbosky, An American novelist, screenwriter, and film director for his most famous best selling novel. Chbosky was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and graduated from University of Southern California.   He did not have any other works. He edited a book ‘Pieces’ and wrote a few screenplays, but he took a risk and tried something different, he wrote a book. Chbosky screen wrote his best selling book (Perks of Being a Wallflower) into a movie.

This book took place in a suburban area, and was definitely influenced the book’s plot. Since Charlie lived in the suburbs, he had more opportunity for new experiences, not exactly bad ones, or good ones. Charlie had more opportunities to go to parties, hang out with friends and maybe (just maybe) get into more mischief. These experiences lead Charlie to who he was at the end of the book, though. I don’t think Charlie would have discovered how to break out of his “wallflower” shell if he did not have these experiences.

I think the overall message of the book is to not let our past define us. Just because your past may have been rocky or not the best, does not mean your future and present cannot be good and successful . I think this message was portrayed very well towards the end of the book. Charlie was very affected by his past but, he accepted his past, and grew from the experiences he went through.  I think this theme was very well expressed through the letters that Charlie wrote. This book was written all through letters that he wrote to a stranger who “seems nice”. Charlie was very comfortable writing to the person, and he expressed a lot in these letters. I think these letters made the poem even more personable.

I really liked this book. Coming of age books are one of my favorite kinds of books. I love books that are personable and relatable. I feel that many teenagers can relate to how the characters in this book feel. In times in the book, Charlie at times felt hopeless. He felt sometime he couldn’t handle what was going on anymore, and some teenagers feel the same way. I would definitely read more books by Stephen Chbosky if he writes anymore.  I would definitely recommend this book to others, especially teenagers. This book has real life events and problems that relate to teenagers.

Some more information on the book here if you would like. If you would like to read more book reviews written by my classmates, click here.

4 thoughts on ““And in that moment, I swear we were infinite”

1. Hey Kira,
    I always read “Coming of age” books, I never knew the name of the genre though and have been trying to figure it out for about 3 years now, so thanks. This sounds like a fantastic book, I will definitely try to read it over summer!
    Thanks, Madeline

• It is one of my favorites! And coming of age books are also my favorite genre!